Thursday, September 3, 2015

Day 1 -- Klagenfurt

I was supposed to meet with my buddy this morning, so I made sure to get up and pack all my stuff up.  I was super excited to see that there was a key to my room taped to the door! I AM NO LONGER HOMELESS! WOO! So before I headed to the lobby, I went to my actual room and dropped off my stuff. :)

We couldn't go to the university till 1 in the afternoon, so thank goodness she had some ideas on what to do this morning! First there was set up a bank account.  Once we got to the bank, they told us that there was no one that was going to be able to help us for a while but they could tomorrow morning. So we set up an appointment with someone who spoke english so I could take care of it tomorrow.  We then grabbed tea and a pastry at the cafe. It was so good and I cannot wait to have another! We then sat there and talked about ourselves a little more and she helped me understand the money and other little cultural things that were easy to explain. We then went to the grocery stores so I could see how they worked and which one was cheaper.  By the way, Aldis is a thing here... just saying. We then took the stuff I did by back to my room (YAY!).

I thought reading the bus schedule would be super confusing... but really it is probably the easiest thing I have seen yet. So after that explanation, we took the bus into the city for the first time!

The heart of the city is so cool! There were all kinds of things to see and do--it was awesome! My buddy helped me go and get a sim card for my phone so I could use it here...best thing yet! Then we just walked around and she explained some of the statues and other things that were around to me! Plus she showed me where the mall was ;)

We headed back to the university after lunch and went to check out the office for international students... but they were closed. Then we found the rest of the crew! They went a looked for our class room for our german class while I waited to get my student ID :)

We then took a trip to IKEA--naturally.  We all got the stuff we thought we needed and headed back to the university. Or so we thought.  I thought the bus schedules were easy to read...and they are if you know where you are going. Otherwise you take a bus that you think goes to the university and ends up at the train station. We ended up waiting an extra 20 mins before the right bus took off to where we needed to go!

One of the other girls buddy took us on a walk to the lake! It was dark out by the time we got there, but it was still a cool right. There are towns & cities all around the lake, and you can see their lights form our edge! It was a very cool sight to see.

I finally made it back to my place .. and of course I was too excited to sleep. I ended up unpacking everything and putting it away before I was satisfied enough to go to bed. But bed time it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment